30% Off! Two for One Sale! No Money Down! - Who doesn't love a Bargain?
So why is it that so many buyers pass up the biggest bargain in Real Estate - working with a Buyer's Agent?
While conducting an Open House, at one of my listings, I had the opportunity to meet some potential buyers, in my market. The conversations covered the normal grounds...Please sign the guest registry, Are you working with a REALTOR®?, Have you been looking long? Have you been to other Open Houses? Did you see any homes that you liked? Is this your price range? How soon do you want to purchase? Do you have a home to sell?
Once it was determined that my listing was not the right home for them, and confirmed that they were not signed with another agent, I would offer to search for other properities that were appropriate for their needs and show them any, in which they were interested.
Some buyers are happy to have someone search the market, for them, determine the homes that meet the parameters they set, do the resesarch on how long the homes have been for sale, when they last sold, for how much, arrange appointments to see them, etc.
The conversations that amaze me, however, go something like this.
- I realize this house doesn't work for you. I'd be happy to show you some other homes that better fit your needs.
- Thanks for offering, but we like to find the houses ourselves.
- Where do you find them?
- Oh, we drive around and if we see an Open House sign and the house looks nice, we stop.
- Not all listings have Open Houses.
- Yeah, but we look online, too, and if we want to see a house, we call the listing agent
- You do realize that the listing agent's responsibility is to look out for the best interests of their client, the owner.
- That's okay, we know how this works. We can take care of ourselves and we can get a better deal because there's one less agent collecting a commission.
- The number of agents doesn't change the size of the commission. The owner has a contract with the listing broker and they've already agreed on a commission amount. If you have an agent represent you as a buyer, he or she will receive his or her fee, as part of that commission. It's a great opportunity to have a REALTOR® working exclusively for you and someone else pays the bill.
- Well, maybe..but we'll pass. We'd rather do it ourselves.
Servings Westport, CT
and the surrounding communities
Copyright © 2013 Marilyn Katz, All Rights Reserved